If you’re getting ready to hit the road for your spring camping trips in your new or used RV, don’t leave home without knowing how to confidently dump and flush the black tank! It doesn’t have to be the world’s messiest job if you do it right – so follow our RV tips for dumping and flushing the black tank below.
Attach Sewer Hose
Your RV probably already has a sewer hose with it, but if it’s lost, damaged, or in need or replacement, check out what we offer in our parts catalog. RV sewer hoses are usually 10-20 feet long, with extension connectors you can use if your dump station is more than 10 feet away.
• Attach the elbow lock piece to one end of the hose. This elbow lock will attach to the dump station.
• Find the locking tabs at the other end of your sewer hose. This will lock into place on your RV’s sewer mount. Remove the valve cap on the sewer mount and make sure to contact us if you have any questions whatsoever about this process. This is not a job you want to get wrong!
You’ll want to empty both the black and grey tanks when at the dump station, with the black tank emptied first. Why? The grey tank flushes its soapy water through the sewer hose, which serves to clean the hose before you’re done.
Black Tank Flush
Ideally, always do a black tank flush after you’ve emptied it. A black tank flush simply runs fresh, clean water through the black tank to rinse it out. Similarly to the grey water flushing and cleaning the hose, a black tank flush cleans and rinses the black tank and helps it stay in good condition, giving you a cleaner camping experience.
• Locate the black tank flush connection and label it clearly if it isn’t already labeled.
• Attach your hose like a garden hose and open the black tank valve.
• Make SURE to open that valve before you start the flush! If you don’t, sending water into the tank can pressurize the tank if it isn’t completely empty or even has a clog. Opening the valve will relieve the pressure, and prevent disaster when you turn on the water.
Our RV tips for handling the dirty jobs of camping can help make sure you enjoy a fun, clean camping trip and are able to make quick work of a necessary job. Contact us if you have any questions, or if you need to shop for additional RV plumbing supplies, such as fittings and hoses.